Monday, May 28, 2007

Stanley Cup Finals

After a major lay off the NHL has decided to start the Stanley Cup final. Why didn’t they start it last weekend? No idea but I guess they love playing hockey in June.

Ottawa and Anaheim are the real contenders and everyone else is a pretender. This is what you play your season for a shot at the final. Is it going to go the distance and be a hard fought series or is it going to be short and sweet? We all want it to go 6-7 like the Ed-Car series but what if it’s like the Det-Phil series that was over in 4?

Anaheim Ducks playoff recap:
Beat the Wild in 5
Beat the Canucks in 5
Beat the Red Wings in 6

Ottawa Senators playoff recap:
Beat the Penguins in 5
Beat the Devils in 5
Beat the Sabres in 5

Both these teams have been dominant and have beat great teams. It should be a great, hard-hitting series and hopefully a bunch of overtimes.

Let’s break it down further: Strengths and concerns.

Strengths > Ottawa
1. Obviously it’s the Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson line. That Hossa – Heatley deal is really paying off. These guys seem to be unstoppable. They have to be the best line in hockey.
2. Mike Fisher is a hard working, get dirty, talented hockey player. Every team needs a guy like that.
3. Goaltending. I hate when goalies get the shaft. I have no idea why the Sens went out this summer and got Gerber and started him. You drafted Ray in the 4th rd #99 overall and he has become a gem by working his butt off for you. Goalies take time to develop. I think Ray Emery deserves to be a #1 wherever he plays. I hope Ottawa wins the cup for Emery’s sake.

Strengths > Anaheim
1. Giguere has to be their best strength. This guy is amazing. He proved it once and he’s back again showing the world that he’s the real deal with a better offensive team in front of him. Didn’t the Ducks start Bryzgalov to start the playoffs? Many said Giggy is the reason they beat the Wings.
2. Selanne, McDonald and Kunitz are an incredible line. Plus they have amazing young talent. I love Corry Perry I think the Ana GM got a steal getting Perry #28 overall in the 2003 draft. What was everyone else thinking the London Knights were incredible???
3. Maybe the best moves Brian Burke did was getting Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger. Both these guys are up for the Norris trophy THIS year. Both have won it in the past. If there is anyone who could stop or slow down Ottawa’s top line it’s Pronger and Niedermayer. Oh yeah, don’t forget about Beauchemin either…this guy is solid.
Concerns > Ottawa
1. Ottawa’s other forward lines are decent but can they contribute in the most difficult series yet? I am a Comrie fan but these guy needs to chip in to help his team win.
2. As much as I love Emery is he better than Giguere?
3. Can the defense play together for these series? Buffalo had super speed but Emery bailed out the D.

Concerns > Anahiem
1. Scoring? Can the Ducks not rely on their goaltending to win them the cup? If the D can add scoring on the PP then they got a great shot. If not, it might be a quick series unless the forwards can get it going.
2. Can the young guns produce under the greatest pressure?
3. If they can’t stop the Spezza line they are D O N E.


My prediction:

Ducks in 5 – I think Anaheim has better goaltending, dominant defenseman who will slow down the big guns and their young talent will produce. Plus I picked them to win it all from the beginning. Unlike all you guys who pick the popular teams like Buf and Det. Or are so biased because you are a Canucks fan thinking Luongo will win us the Cup in his 1st year without scoring (Next yr with changes maybe – I hope).

I know this is an unpopular pick because we are ALL cheering for our last available Canadian team. I think many of us will be blinded by the true facts of the match-ups with our Canada 1st lenses.

By the way I am cheering for Ottawa but if I was a betting man or the choice was whether I was wrong or right I got to pick the Ducks. Leave your heart out of it and you will turn to the dark side of the Ducks.

Of course I could be wrong but I HIGHLY doubt it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, we have agreed almost throughout the whole playoffs (and i've been wrong on only one series - NYR over BUF), but here we must part ways my friend. Not only my heart, but my head also tells me that Ottawa wins in 6. Ottawa is the complete package. they've faced adversity and come out ahead. I love Selanne and if Ducks win i will rejoice with him. but I believe Ottawa will win
PS Kunitz has been out for a while now...

KEVIN

Sean Zandberg said...

Hey! We are on opposite sides of the spectrum in our view of who will take it.
I'm not impressed with Selanne and McDonald lately. They have dried up mostly, (besides Selanne's gift-wrapped OT goal)

Carlyle seems to be pulling out all the stops to get these 2 going, as it sseems Drew Miller will play with them tonight, bumping Marchant off that line.

The Sens don't have these kinds of problems right now. They are rolling, all the way down to Dean McAmmond.

I think it will take some sort of major breakdown for the Sens to lose. It's possibe. But I doubt it.

Sean Zandberg said...

Well, last night WAS a breakdown of sorts for Ottawa.

Uh oh! You are not allowed to be right, Kempner! Piss off!!!

Ozmang said...

Hmmm my score is like 9-5 1 win ahead of that darn tsn monkey! All the analysts are on their game this year (too many years of being shown down to random number projections I guess).

Its easy. I'd love to see sens win but they won't. The reason is Emery. Everyone seems to love him but to be honest the only thing thats kept him in is his D. His save % isn't where it needs to reflect his goals against average.

I love how you defended the goalie there Trev and I think you are right about goalies taking the shaft, but in the effort to stay consistent it is a great team that get you to the final and perfection that wins it for you and Emery is anything but perfect - he's shakey.

One other thing does bug me though. The Sens are on average taller and heavier than the Ducks... why are they LETTING the Ducks him them hard and often???? Who knows maybe games 2 & 3 will look different, but going in (& without game 1) I would have said Ducks anyways.

Its been a great playoffs guys and I've loved what you have said.