Wednesday, July 02, 2014

LOSE HONOUR. GET CONNER.

Well after the NHL draft it was quite apparent that the Canucks were rebuilding. But GM Jim Benning insisted that wasn't the case. And after the 1st day of the free agency, I believe him. At the Ryan Miller press conference Benning said that Vancouver's goal is to make the playoffs every year. So the idea of rebuilding is not on their radar. They want to keep a winning culture in Vancouver. It's more of a change on the fly like Detroit has done so successfully over the years. Only a few teams have been able to do this. Most have to rebuild and even SJ has started that process too.

Did you know that Jim Benning was in Buffalo when they drafted Ryan Miller? It's true. Benning obviously is sold on Miller and Benning said, "Goaltending is the most important position on the team." 

And I believe that Ryan Miller got blamed unfairly on St.Louis' playoff lose to Chicago. The Blues wouldn't have gone to Game 7 if it wasn't for the good play of Ryan Miller. But their loss is our gain. And I'm super happy the Canucks landed him. It was for a good length of term and a reasonable price for an elite goalie. And thanks to Gillis we don't have a legit #1 (#fireGillis)

And I love this signing especially if we are truly trying to make the playoffs and compete. 

My question is, why? 
Look at the West, everyone added scoring except for Vancouver. 
Stastny went to St.Louis
Iggy wisely when to Colorado.
Spezza landed in Dallas. 
Kesler to Anaheim.
Plus Chicago and LA are built to win.

Our team right now does not have the players to keep up with the West. If you look at our team right now who's going to produce or scare the opposition? 
The twins are our best offensive players.
Bonio will be good on the PP. 
Burrows? Kassian? Higgins...okay you get the picture. 

I appreciate the desire to keep or make a winning culture in Vancouver but when you have a superstar like Conner McDavid in next year's draft you have a shot to get him, why not unofficially tank the season, develop your young kids, and select the best prospect on the planet? 

I can't take credit for this but my buddy  and hard core Canuck fan came up with this slogan...
LOSE HONOUR. GET CONNER. 

I agree with his idea so much so I tweeted Canucks President Trevor (great name by the way) Linden. 
if you had this team & could lose to draft a player like would you tank the season? LOSE HONOUR. GET CONNER!

And why not...what if he lives up to the hype and becomes similar to Crosby, Stamkos or Kane. Wouldn't it be worth it? I think it would. 

I love our draft...
Virtanen is a very gifted player. An Abbotsford boy who's whole family is a Canucks fan. My friends who watched him in Calgary with the Hitmen said he's dynamic and we are going to love him. 
McCann is a good 2 way C. He models himself after Kesler or Bergeron and he's not afraid to drop the gloves. 
Demko is supposedly the best goalie in the draft. 
The best move was the trade that got rejected. SO GLAD that Florida said no to the Vancouver's insane trade offer, #6 & #24 overall and last years 1st round pick Hunter Shinkaruk.

Side note: I tweeted Hunter this message of encouragement. 
I get your name was in trade talks today but I'm glad u didn't get moved bec I believe u r going to light it up for Van!

Speaking of Hunter, let's not forget we have at least 2 excellent players on the horizon who I hope make the team this season in Horvat and Shinkaruk.  
Here's Shinkaruk's top 10 goals, #3 and #1 are amazing
Here's Bo Horvat's Top 10 goals. So many good ones...

To summarize, I appreciate the desire of Canuck leadership to win and the signing of Miller but without significant help offensively we don't have a shot. And who wants to draft #5 overall when you can draft #1? Not me.  

Lose honour. Get Conner.

Of course I could be wrong but I doubt it. 


No comments: