Thursday, July 03, 2014

Canucks: Is this a playoff roster?


Believe???

Okay, I'm loving the discussion around the Canucks. At least there is something to talk about. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a pessimist but I've always admitted that I'm a realistic when it comes to sports. And just because the Canucks are my favourite team doesn't mean that I look at the team or their chances with rose coloured glasses (do rose coloured glasses exist or even work better? lol). 

As much as I love the Canuck draft, the Ryan Miller & Radim Vrbata signings I can't see this team making the playoffs. We didn't make it last year and have we improved enough to make the playoffs? It's possible but very unlikely. My main point is that we don't have enough fire power to be in the top 8 in the West. The West has significantly gotten better and Vancouver is similar or slightly better. 

That's why I was suggesting that we tank the season to get the top pick or to be in the top 3 to get a significant addition to a team that really needs to rebuild or get younger talent who actually play on our roster. You can read all about that here: Lose Honour. Get Conner.

Let's look at the possible line combo's for the Canucks. 
It seems like Vrbata signed here because of promises to play with the twins. 

Line 1:
LW - D.Sedin
C - H.Sedin
RW - Vrbata

Line 2:
LW - Higgins/Burrows
C - Bonino
RW - Kassian

Line 3:
LW - Matthias
C - Richardson
RW - Higgins/Burrows

Line 4:
LW - Sestito
C - Horvat
RW - Dorsett/Hansen

Is this a playoff roster? Considering how strong the West is, no way. 
Are we going to generate enough goals to make a playoff push? I don't think so. 

Where are our young guys going to play? Jensen (RW), Horvat (C), Shinkaruk (RW), and even Virtanen need opportunities to make this roster. We just traded for the RW Linden Vey from LA. Where's he going to play? My guess it's another year in the minors or their CHL teams for most of these guys. Which is super frustrating. I would send Schroeder to the minors and put Horvat to C that line with Shinkaruk on the RW with Sestito or Hansen on the LW.  

I totally understand that if you make the playoffs anything can happen. But how are we making the playoffs? Don't tell me our Dmen are going to miraculously pick up the scoring. Here's my bold statement on July 3rd, the Calgary Flames will end up higher in the standings than Vancouver. The Flames have done a great job drafting and rebuilding plus the addition of Bennett & Hiller will help them win more games. You watch...

Of course I could be wrong but I doubt it. 
I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it. And when I'm right and we get 10th or 11th in the West and Conner McDavid and Jack Eichel are taken in the top 3 picks we will be wishing that the Canucks listened to me about tanking the season. :)  

Side notes
We need more legit LWers and giving Vrbata $5 mil a season is a lot of dough. 
Again I'm cheering for them but I'm a realist. 

3 comments:

adh said...

I think Schroeder is either a UFA and is not going to be signed or an RFA and hasn't been given a qualifying offer.

We need at least 2-3 of the young players playing this year which means that will affect your lines.

But I agree. I can't see them doing much this year. They may get eighth but that's it.

Sheldon said...

Big change for this year is a new coach who won't strangle the team like Torts...and you got rid of a growing cancer in Kesler. The boys have something to prove this year and it might be enough to get them into a race for 8th but the a first round knock out...

RevTrevK said...

Thank you ADH. I made the changes.

But I think you guys are proving my main point, from the last blog post. If we are going to come 8th (I still think that's wishful thinking) and lose 1st round wouldn't it be better to get a top 3 prospect?