Saturday, July 29, 2006

Luongo deal bad for the present great for the future.

As I have had some time to analyze, comment, and change my mind I have come to some conclusions about the Canucks getting Luongo.

Luongo: Granted he is amazing. He had the most shots faced in the league 400 more than the 2nd place Brodeur and he still was 1st in GAA. He was on Team Canada’s top 3 for goaltenders. He is young a stellar.

BUT was he worth what Vancouver gave up? As the dust has settled it looks like not only did we lose Bertuzzi, Allen and Auld to Florida but we lost Jovo to Phoenix and Cloutier to the Kings.

Bertuzzi might have peaked and there isn’t a ton of value for a guy who was accused of breaking another player’s neck. I enjoy Todd when he was here but I am glad he’s getting another start. The one thing about Bertuzzi was he took too many penalties while the Canucks were on the PP.
Allen was solid but has not lived up to his 5th overall selection. Though I did love his grit and size.

Auld, I thought, would be the Canuck goalie of the future but as I always say you got to give up something to get something. He will do well in Florida and if not he’s got great weather there…Alex watch out for hurricane warnings. Like I used to sing in Sunday School, “Don’t build your house on the sandy land, don’t build it too near the shore. I might look kind of nice but you’ll have to build it twice. You’ll have to build your house once more.”
Jovanovski: He was loved here and honestly I loved having him but we couldn’t afford him and Luongo. The one thing I have learned is Jovo is injury prone. 79 missed games in 3 years…wow! I think the Coyotes overpaid for him at $6.5 mil a year. Ed you will be missed.
Cloutier: As many of you know I am a huge Cloutier fan. Yes he let in the one goal against Lidstrom in the playoffs and he can’t stay healthy. But he did set Canuck records with three 30+ win seasons. And if you ever seen that fight between him and Salo back in the day you know he’s got grit. Mark Crawford and Dave Nonis both say he works as hard as anyone. I think when healthy he was as good as any young goalie out there. I think it was a great move that LA picked him up.

Retooling? I heard this statement lately about the Canucks. But I don’t think we are retooling with ALL these changes. I really think we are rebuilding. Yes that is right. Now rebuilding doesn’t have to look stupid like Boston trading away Samsonov and MVP Joe Thornton and overpaying Chara for $7.5 mil a season.

Why are we rebuilding? Because we kept the core together for 5 years and we won only 1 playoff series. That’s the facts. But what Brian Burke did was bring excitement and the fans back to the area. Thanks Brian that at least it’s been entertaining. I love Canuck fever I just hate all the bandwagon jumpers.

Conclusion: We had to do something and we did more than something we got one of the best young goalies in hockey. For those out there that believe with all the changes we are going to win the Stanley Cup this year…give your head a shake. I don’t think this year we will win with the likes of superstars like Bulis, Krajicek, Chouinard, Pyatt, and Noronen. But at least we are moving in the right direction from the goal mouth out.

Of course I could be wrong but I doubt it.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Loved the Sunday School song. I have never sung that one but it sounds like a winner. Just like you Trev...except when it comes to championships in Fantasy Football.

"Boss Boss the plane, the plane."
"I'm Mr Rork and welcome to Fantasy Football."

drewology said...

I agree that we won't win the stanley cup this year with the changes made but I must disagree on Jovo. I don't think we lost him because we got Luongo. If we kept bert and didn't get luongo Jovo still would have been gone, for the same salary reasons. We got rid of Bertuzzi's and Cloutier's salary and still couldn't sign Jovo. I think there were other issues and he was gone anyways.

Jesse said...

Love your analysis Trev, it's going to be interesting to see how the season goes!

I am super pumped that the Canucks are coming back to Vernon for the preseason training! I was really impressed watching them practice 2 years ago, and it will be very interesting to see how this new look Canukcs "look" during practice. Hopefully I can score an intersquad ticket again!