Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Relax people it's Zack Kassian!

Okay so I was panicking a few days ago after trading my boy Hodgson away. But I am finding people are still losing it. We need to take a deep breathe and relax.

We can't judge this trade after 1 game. I do think we have downgraded talent wise losing Hodgson but Zack Kassian brings a whole new skill set. He's a big guy with some grit and has good hands for a big guy. The site I said he's 230 pds he's more like 215-220. I have seen everything from 230 to 214 to 228 to 220...can someone get this guy a weight scale? haha

Here's some interesting things about Zack:
- He was drafted 13th overall in the 2009 entry draft. Goons don't get drafted at 13 overall. He's got some skill to him.
- He won a silver medal with Team Canada.
- He won a Memorial Cup with the Windsor Spitfires.
- He just turned 21. We got to give this kid some time to develop.
- He was #54 with Buffalo (Derrick Roy has #9), #19 with Windsor (I don't want to see any Canuck wearing Naslunds old #), and #9 with Team Canada. As weird as it seems with him wearing Cody's old number at least if you have Hodgson's jersey you only need to change the name on the back. haha By the way Hodgson is #19 with the Sabres.

And the fact is he's only going to get what Hodgson got for minutes any way (like 10-15 minutes of ice time a night). It's not like we traded Kesler or the Sedin twins. We traded a 3rd line C for a 3rd line winger. Granted Hodgson is good enough to play on the 2nd line with Buffalo but he's not going to be stealing minutes from Kelser. But the fact is Hodgson is gone and Kassian is here to stay so we need to get over it. Plus moves Canuck GM Gillis did in the past I have questioned before but I was wrong and he was right. That's why he's the GM and I am not. I trust our GM. I just loved watching Hodgson and I was going to buy his jersey.

My suggestion is keep Kassian in the lineup for the rest of the season to give him the experience he needs and play him in a limited role in the playoffs. You never know he might surprise us all with his talent not just his toughness.

Of course I could be wrong but I doubt it.

No comments: