Sunday, February 26, 2012

If I was the GM of the...

The trade deadline is this Monday. Ever wish you could be a fly on the wall in some of those war rooms where they are discussing deals? What would you do if you were the GM of a NHL franchise? Would you gamble or play it safe?

This is what I would do:
If I was the GM of the...Dallas Stars, I would not be moving a guy like Ott as you are in the playoffs right now. Ott is a playoff guy with tons of experience. They need some scoring because the Ribeiro, Ryder, and Eriksson line can't score all the goals. Morrow is definitely missed.
If I was the GM of the...LA Kings I would not have traded Jack Johnson and a 1st round pick for J.Carter. I think that was too much. Johnson straight up for sure. Johnson was the #3 overall pick in the Crosby draft. I would see what the value is for Dustin Brown but not be seeking to move him too quickly. He's your captain but 35 pts isn't getting it done.
If I was the GM of the...Blue Jackets, I would be SELLING. You are the worst team in the league. I wouldn't trade Nash unless I got something significant in return. You can trade him in the off season but milk the trade deadline for all it's worth. If you could get an upgrade at goaltender, young prospects or draft picks, and some players that can play today.
If I was the GM of the...Lightning, I would be seeking a goalie ASAP. Roloson and Garon are not good enough to get anything done. TB has a great offense who has the potential to make some noise in the playoffs if they had a better goaltender.
If I was the GM of the...Leafs, I would be making a huge push for Nash. The only problem is he's a winger and they need a good C. Free Agency could help with that problem. Also I would be looking for a new goalie. As much as I like Reimer, he's not getting it done yet. I would move Luke Schenn for the right deal that will help you now. He's getting $4.6 million as a 22 year old.
If I was the GM of the...Oilers, I would be kicking myself for signing Hemsky for another 2 years for $5 million each! He's only worth that when healthy and that's the problem. This guy has been injury for 3 years straight. You don't want to waste all that money as he sits on the sideline watching most of the games.
If I was the GM of the...Canucks, I would not do much. I would add a playoff guy like Ott or another #6 D for depth. I would not be moving Schneider unless I could get Nash in return. I would move Raymond has he's young and fast but seems to have long streaks without any points on the board (as I type this he scores vs Dallas haha).
If I was the GM of the...Flames and we didn't make the playoffs I would blow it up. It's been too many years of missing the playoffs. 9 or 10th every year gets you bad draft position and false hope that you got a chance.
If I was the GM of the...Senators, I'd be happy I just picked up Bishop. Anderson should be back for the playoffs but until Bishop will help.
If I was the GM of the...Predators, I would be trying everything to get Rick Nash. They NEED offense.
If I was the GM of the...Canadiens, I would do nothing. Wait until the free agency and improve your team in the draft.
If I was the GM of the...Capitals, Semin would be traded. Too much $ for little production. I know they have lots of problems there but if Backstrom was healthy I think they would be in the playoffs. He's a great passer and makes his teammates better.
If I was the GM of the...Sharks, I would be making a meeting with the team and having a heart to heart with the team. SJ is better than they have been playing lately.
If I was the GM of the...Jets, I would be pretty happy that they have a chance to make the playoffs. This team is not that good yet and it's going to take another year or two before they are going to make some noise. My philosophy is, "Make the playoffs because you never know what can happen."

I think there will be a lot of deals made tomorrow but more importantly there will be deals that are not done that will make the biggest difference.

Of course I could be wrong but I doubt it.

No comments: