Monday, February 27, 2012

Canucks trade Hodgson???

So the trade deadline has come and gone...and frankly, it was the lamest one I have ever experienced. Rich Nash didn't move which was and was not surprising. The Blue Jackets were obviously asking way too much. Supposedly it came down to the Rangers and the Sharks but neither were willing to give what Columbus required.

As for the rest of the day it was super lame until the last deal came through which caused a MASSIVE stir for Canuck and Sabre fans.

I got to admit I hated this deal when it happened and if you were following me on twitter or my friend on facebook you got that LOUD and CLEAR. The main reason is that Cody Hodgson is one of my favourite Canucks and I am shocked that they traded such a young skilled athlete. But I have calmed down and I will try my best to look at this with a clear, honest, in the best interest of the Canucks mindset.

The deal was 2 separate trades but together it looks like this: Buffalo received Hodgson and Sulzer; Vancouver received Kassian and Gragnani.

What I love about Cody Hodgson:
He's only 22 and has lots of tools already to be a great player in the next 5 years. He was a key guy to Team Canada's success in the World Juniors. When John Tavares was in his final year in Jr's it was Hodgson who won the MVP. He's already played in the playoffs and will improve as he continues to play in those crucial games. This year he's logged huge minutes and played in 63 games.

Plus I love this goal he scored vs Boston this year! Click this link to watch: Best Hodgson goal yet!!! The Sabres must be thrilled to get such a young talent.

Here's what the Canucks got in return:
Zack Kassian is a very good young player. Many people love this kid. He's played for Team Canada, he's only 21 but Zack is a monster! 230 pds this guy is Eric Lindros big. The NHL has changed we don't need a goon we need toughness. Does he have the hands like Neeley, Lindros, or Bertuzzi did at 21? He's a winger that Vancouver needs.
Something you may or may not know, Kassian was drafted #13 overall in the 2009 Tavares, Hedman, Duchene draft.
Here's some of his highlights since he's been with Buffalo...Kassian is TOUGH.

My concerns:
1) Are we trading skill for toughness? Makes me worried about the Naslund for Stojanov deal the Canucks won years ago. Will he be the next Lindros (doubt it), Neeley (not likely), or Bertuzzi (possibly)???
2) Experience. He has no playoff experience yet.
3) He's only played 28 games on Sabres team that is less skilled than Vancouver. How many games will he be playing with the Canucks?
4) Going into the playoffs does this help Vancouver or hurt them? What happens if Kesler or H.Sedin get hurt does Pahlsson get in the #2 C spot? I hope not as I would rather have Malhotra be in that spot.
5) I worry he's a hitter and nothing else. Zack please prove me wrong!!!

The other player we got was Marc-Andre Gragnani. This guy might be the key to this deal. Only 24 years old he's got 7 games of playoff experience scoring 7 pts in those games. Supposedly he good puck moving defensemen who can play now.

I get the argument we need more toughness for the playoffs and truly I get that but I wish we would have moved Raymond instead. I get we needed another winger than another C. I get that H.Sedin and Kesler make it tough for him to break the top 6. I just wish we had traded Raymond for a guy who's got more playoff experience in Steve Ott. Rumour has it that was offered to Dallas but the Stars declined.

I hope for the Canuck fans sake this is a great deal.

Of course I could be wrong but I doubt it.

No comments: