Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Canucks fans HIT THE PANIC BUTTON!?!

One thing that annoys me about Canucks fans and Canucks haters is the suggestion to always hit the panic button. When Vancouver struggles they all come out and answer is 90-100% of the time is trade everyone and fire everyone. 

People are there now again...Why?
- We lost 9-1 to the Ducks. 
- The Flames wanted to stir things up and then Tortorella goes to the other dressing room and gets suspended. 
- We lost to the struggling Oilers 4-2.
- Vs the rival Blackhawks we scored the first 2 goals then allowed Chicago to score 5 unanswered. Yuck! 
The list goes on and on...

You know how many times I have heard 'trade the twins'? Good thing we didn't. They are super talented players who lead us to a Cup final. But is it time? Is it time to rebuild or retool? Do we blow it up or tweak? Honestly rebuilding scares me. I don't want to be on the 30 year rebuild plan like the Islanders. I don't want to have all the 'young guns' like the Oilers and still be bottom 5. But in saying that our window is closing fast or has closed. 

So I'm going to given in and HIT THE PANIC BUTTON and start trading and firing for the fun of it (just for this post).



Vancouver should trade any of these
1. Kesler.
Kesler? Our boy...our most popular player? Yes he takes face-offs, kills penalties, hits, gets in front of the net, and does the intangibles well but he isn't the player we were hoping. He doesn't score consistently. His 41 goal season probably will be his career year. 
2. Burrows
I love having Burrows on our team but maybe his time here is done. 
3. Elder
This Diaz Wiese trade was brilliant. Wiese is at best a 3rd liner. Supposedly this frees Van to move a defenseman. We will not trade Bieska or Hamhuis but the rest are available but no one wants Tanev or will be willing to pay for Garrison. 
4. Higgins
A hard working player who is a good 3rd line gritty RW for the playoffs. The problem in Van is we need him to be that 2nd line scorer that he is not. 
5. Booth
I love Booth as a person but let's be honest, his time in Van has not been a good experiment. Granted the injuries play a big part of that but when healthy he hasn't produced. 
6. Kassian
One of the lamest trades in Canuck history was Kassian for Hodgson. I'm still mad about this one. (By the way fire Gillis...I'm serious, he's killed us. We had a great team when we got him since then we have declined. I can't think of one trade or free agent signing that he's done that has been good for us. Maybe Diaz but who knows. Gillis talks about having a plan but the product says differently.)

Who we should trade for
Moulson - I would trade Gaunce and a 2nd round pick for him RIGHT NOW. Moulson would be that guy to step in as our 2nd line LW. He scores wherever he goes. Van needs a top 6 forward ASAP. I would trade Burrows and a third rounder for him. 
Duchene - I would trade Kesler for Matt Duchene in a heart beat. This kid is amazing. As much as I love Kesler I think Colorado has turned a corner and is heading in the right direction. Duchene is one of the main reasons why. I don't know if Colorado would pull the trigger but if they would I'd jump all over it. So whether we rebuild or retool he would be a key piece to either puzzle. 
Yakopov - I would move Elder for Yakopov and Belov. They NEED a Def man so bad and Elder needs a change of scenery. Elder has not been good for Van in the last season and a half but he's still an Olympian. (Love the Scrivens trade BTW) 
Gaborik - He's supposedly on the move. Higgins and Burrows for Gaborik! I know it's a stretch but there are so many lopsided trades in the NHL over the years. Let's dream a little.
Callahan and Zuccarrello- for Booth, Kassian, Burrows. The more I think about this deal it's a real long shot but you never know they might pull the trigger.

DO NOT TRADE
The Sedins. Van will not get market value for these two and I say let's ride the Sedin train out to the end. If Van can get something valuable like Hartnell and Vorachek or Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins then it's worth it. But this isn't happening. The problem is Henrik and Daniel are as of today #55 and #57 in scoring. 
Eddie Lack...this kid is amazing. We wouldn't have traded Schneider (or Luongo) if Lack wasn't so good. Love his positive attitude and incredible play. 
Jannik Hansen. I think he does a great job with the intangibles and we wouldn't get enough value in return. 


By the way, I believe the Canucks will make the playoffs. I think it's time we do something...Diaz isn't enough but a step in the right direction.

Of course I could be wrong but I doubt it.

3 comments:

Monte said...

Completely disagree with the Kassian trade comments. I believe he will be that power forward we need in the future. I agree with the idea that we need a shake up ASAP! Otherwise in three years the Canucks are the new Flames.

RevTrevK said...

Thanks Monte for the comment. I'm not sure if you are seeing what I'm seeing but it's not good when it comes to Kassian and it's not looking hopeful for a change.

I'm trying to think of what Kassian actually does well. I get his size is valuable but does he land hits? Does he intimidate? Does he score much?

What does he do to say we must keep him. Being decent 1 game out of 20 isn't good enough.

RevTrevK said...

Kassian has played 52 games and has a whopping 10 goals and 7 assists. It's not for a lack of ice time! :(