Monday, January 20, 2014

We can't handle the truth

Loved the BIG win by Seattle this weekend. What an entertaining game to watch and it came down to the wire! 

I just read an incredible article by a Sportsnet magazine writer named To view his blog post click here: Sherman, Subban, and hypocritical fans

I think he's right, we are hypocritical. We get mad at Sherman for not just letting his play do the talking. Media are shoving microphones in his face after his big play. We want a real, honest, opinion. Then he says this and people are upset. Who's shocked by what he said? Not me. 

Is it that we can't handle the truth? I'm tired of watching games where they ask stupid questions to players & coaches like "What are the keys to winning the game?" And their reply is something like this, "If we score more goals/points more than our opponent we got a good shot at winning the game" ??? 

And we wonder why players give these kinds of stupid answers because they are being asked stupid questions. Also if they do say what they really think they are judged, insulted, and possibly fined.

Love or hate these people at least they are entertaining: Allen Iverson, John Tortorella, Don Cherry, Deion Sanders, Terrell Owens, Brian Burke, Rex Ryan, Shaq, etc. It sells magazines, it good for blogging, it's hilarious to share their video clips on Facebook and Twitter, etc

I'm not promoting arrogance or trash talk but what I'm saying is at least they are being honest and real. Yes, what Sherman said in the interview with Erin Andrews was over the top. 
Yes, when Sherman was trying to shake Crabtree's hand was it insulting, had history (supposedly he tried to shake his hand before & it lead to a confrontation), and was at an inappropriate time. Yes, Sherman calling Crabtree a mediocre WR is over the top and untrue. 

Granted what Sherman said publicly on the national stage is exactly what Crabtree has been saying publicly too.  And Jordan Heath-Rawlings made this exact point. 
Some might recall the time Sherman taunted Patriots quarterback Tom Brady on Twitter after a Seattle victory over New England, dropping a “U Mad Bro?” onto a picture of him yelling at Brady. Sherman received so much criticism that he deleted the tweet.
Mostly forgotten was what that tweet said: “(Brady) told me and (Seahawks safety) Earl (Thomas) to see him after the game when they win…”.
So Brady talks trash on the field, Sherman responds where everyone can see it and the sports world...
No one criticizes Brady for his trash talk. People don't know that Tom is a big trash talker. Plus he's probably responding to other trash talk. 

People recently were sharing this article on Kaepernick and Wilson. I like what Kyle Terada (USA TODAY Sports) had to say about Colin Kaepernick's arrogance & NFL celebrations. 
Don’t get me wrong, I think it is perfectly find to celebrate after a touchdown. I even believe the league has taken away some of the fun in that aspect of the game. But, the way Kaepernick went about his mocking of Newton on Sunday was unacceptable. In fact, it reminded me exactly why I have such a high amount of respect for Wilson and, well, not too much for Kaepernick
Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/01/13/cocky-colin-kaepernick-should-take-notes-from-russell-wilson/?pb58vHjr27Y04CoE.99
Russell Wilson is complimented and rightly so, but Sherman is also on the same team and until yesterday wasn't too criticized. What's the difference between Sherman and Kaepernick? Not much, if any. 



I don't mind a little trash talk. But I have found that people can dish it but rarely can handle it when it's given back. Fantasy sports is fun to have a little banter but we got to be careful that it's not over the top or personal. That's when it isn't fun but hurtful. 

Probably my favourite trash talk clip is Roy vs Roenick. 2 rings in my ears? It think it's hilarious and clever. 

My title of my blog wreaks of arrogance, I could be wrong but I doubt it. It's more of a joke than it is arrogant. We are all entitled to our opinion and I'm making fun of that truth. I'm poking fun that everyone thinks they are right. 

When my wife and I disagree it's hilarious. When she knows she's right she stops arguing, finishes the conversation, and walks away confident that I'm wrong and sure she's right. I, on the other hand, love to make sure I share all the facts to prove my point. The difference is, I think I'm right and she knows she's right. And most times, she's right. haha

Maybe we can't handle the truth because we were wrong, we lost, or we weren't good enough on that day. 

I could be wrong but I doubt it...haha

No comments: