Thursday, May 08, 2008

NHL Playoffs: Conference Finals

So I am currently 11 for 12 in my predictions. The 2nd round held many surprises. 1st surprise was how many teams had the chance to sweep. 2nd surprise was the play of unsung hero’s like R.J. Umberger and Johan Franzen. 3rd surprise was all the Colorado injuries. What team can really compete with all those broken bones, wrecked knees and unspoken injuries?

Eastern Conference Final

Philadelphia Flyers @ Pittsburgh Penguins

This will be a blood bath. This rivalry is perfect. Hatcher started it all by roughing up Crosby and that will continue as Hatcher and Coburn are going to lay the smack down. Philly has the best fore checking in the playoffs and their forwards hit a ton too.

I think the best story of the playoffs has been the Flyers. Think about it, last year the Flyers were DEAD last in the league. With key additions like F Briere, D Jason Smith, F Lupul, and G Biron they have done a 180 degree U-turn. Added to it is the incredible play of the young guns in Mike Richards and Jeff Carter. The biggest surprises have been the superb play of RJ Umberger and Scotty Upshall. And all this without Simon Gagne and the now injured Mike Knuble. These guys are fun to watch and they broke Canada’s back taking out the Habs in 5 games.

I don’t think Philly can match the speed of the Penguins (even though real Penguins are SLOW). Malkin, Hossa, and Crosby seem to be ready to take this team to the next level. Don’t forget they have solid 2 liners in Sykora and R.Malone as well.

Here are the questions to be answered in this series that will determine the winner:

- Who will be the better goaltender in this series? Will Fluery do enough to win or will Biron shut the door on the young guns?

- Can the Penguins handle the hard hitting of the Flyers?

- Can the young guns of the Flyers produce if this series gets into a shoot out?

- Can the Penguins keep showing their grit with the solid play of Rutuu and Malone?

As much as I love my Flyers and want them to win I think the Pittsburgh Penguins advance and in an convincing style. Pittsburgh in 5.

Western Conference Final

Dallas Stars @ Detroit Red Wings

I keep going back and forth with this series and really could go either way. This should be a close hard fought battle as well. Which team will stand when the dust (or I should say ice) settles? Here’s some pros and cons:

Detroit – pro

This team is on fire! They have the experience and goaltending to go all the way (Osgood is 6-0). They have the best defensemen in the league in Lidstrom and seem to have the scoring to win games. They seem poised to win the Cup. These guys are well rested as they have destroyed their opponents in the playoffs.

Dallas – pro

The Stars seem to be built for the playoffs. Brendan Morrow is not only leading his team in scoring but in hitting too. He’s an incredible leader and Captain. Turco is proving the critic’s wrong and putting up the best playoff run of his career. They have beaten two tough teams to get here and are ROLLIN’. This team is a blue collar hard working and hard hitting team.

Detroit – negatives

They really haven’t played anyone good yet. Colorado was decimated by injuries and didn’t even really compete. Nashville wasn’t that great and Detroit walked all over them. As good as Osgood has played can we trust him to out play Turco? Will Franzen have the room out there to work his magic with the likes of the Dallas in your face style?

Dallas – negatives

After playing game six which basically turned into game 7 and into game 8 in length, will they have any more in the gas tank to get to the Stanley Cup final? Will Osgood’s experience and hot play shut down the hard working Stars? Not sure they have enough scoring to win the series. My biggest concern is that they are tired after fighting with the Ducks and Sharks.

My prediction has changed 3 times over the last couple of days. My heart says Dallas and my head says Detroit. I am going with my heart and Dallas will win in 6.

Of course I could be wrong but I doubt it. And the way I am on fire right now I would be surprised if I was wrong.

For the NHL I think they are hoping for a Pittsburgh – Detroit final. But I am cheering for a Flyers – Stars final with my Flyers winning the cup.

1 comment:

Ozmang said...

I'd love to see this young and powerful Pittsburg team go all the way but honestly I expect a Detroit/Pitts final with the old vets showing the young guns how to play hockey.